Thursday, April 19, 2012

Life being a Nursing major and a Student Athlete and Catch up time!

Hello lovely ladies!!

Well it is April and we are feeling the Spring weather here on campus.  It has been in the 80s then dropping and going back up.  The temperatures are crazy!! Well I must apologize that it has been so long since I have blogged but I hope you know that I have been thinking about you ladies often and wondering how the admissions process is going!  I hope many of you ladies chose Notre Dame of Maryland University as your college choice!  This is an exciting time for the seniors as graduation is approaching soon and in a few short months you will be joining a college community!  College is an awesome change and a place where you can truly find yourself and find some of the most amazing people ever!  My freshman year of college has been one to remember.  I have made so many great new friends and I cannot imagine myself any where else except Notre Dame.

Since I have talked to you ladies my sports season has begun and we are almost finished the Gator Softball 2012 season.  Being a student athlete teaches you a lot about yourself.  You learn time management skills, which you need to be a student athlete anywhere, and you branch out of your group of friends and meet a lot of new people.  My softball team is one of the best group of girls I have ever played with in softball.  This year is a year of change.  We have a lot of new freshman on the team and a new coach.  We have all bonded, especially with our overnight stay in New York for our game.  Many girls think that it is not possible to be a college student and play a sport, but as long as you have the drive and study skills to keep up with your studies you can make it through a season just fine.

Preseason was definitely the hardest time for me because we had 7 am workouts Monday-Friday and practice in the evening 3 days a week.  Although that seems like a lot, all the work you put in during preseason will pay off during the season.  Being a student athlete means you will have to miss classes sometimes, but the teachers at Dame are very understanding as long as you take the lead and talk to them about when you will be missing class and that you will keep them informed of your schedule, they will work with you no problem.

Being a nursing major and being a student athlete is a lot of work.  Since we have different classes than other people, we have to work that much harder to keep up with our studies.  As I progress in the nursing major in my junior and senior years, playing softball is going to be a challenge that I am willing to take on.  Due to clinical experiences, my coach will have to work with me for the games that I cannot make due to my clinical part of the major.  But as of right now, playing softball and and being a pre-nursing major has helped me learn better time management skills.  I love my softball team to death and they are all supportive when something happens or you are having problems in school.  Your teammates are always the ones that will be there when you need someone.  I have attached a picture of my team, this is the serious one but we can be fun too!


 I will be blogging again soon!!! A little over 20 days left of school for the semester :))!

Have a fantastic weekend ladies!!!

1 comment: